The Clock, redux

Okay, a few weeks ago, I wrote about my clock and a case of the "I want ones."

Well, they passed. Quickly, in fact. Well, they started fading before I wrote that post, and were pretty much gone by the end of the day after hitting the publish button.

I've always wavered about wanting children. Well, wanting my own children. I've gone from naming my future babies to shying away from babies in general--related or not. I've thought about adopting older kids--which is certainly something to consider if that's what God has in store for me and my one-day husband. But I've never imagined myself pregnant, giving birth (though I do know that if that ever happens, I am not one of those women who want a natural birth. Give me drugs, in quantity, please.). I've never looked at my friends who have new babies and wanted that part.

Babies don't scare me, any more than older children scare me (now, adults, they scare me). I've babysat, kept my friends kids, and goo-gooed and gah-gahed with the best of them. I've just never felt that pull for longer than a little while.

I'm perfectly happy being Aunt Jayne and would be the most devoted of step-mothers if that's how things happen. I know a couple of kids I'd love to be wicked step-mother to. In that "love you to bits, miss you all the time, saw this and thought about you, can't wait to have you home with us again" kind of wicked.

But is my clock still ticking? Well, yes. But not for kids. It's more about getting on with life.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

2 Response to "The Clock, redux"

  1. Chris Cactus says:
    Mar 16, 2007, 7:23:00 AM

    Having kids is awesome. You're right - it's adults that scare me.

  2. JP (mom) says:
    Mar 18, 2007, 2:17:00 PM

    I like your line ... the ticking clock is more about "getting on with life." So true. And once we do that, we invite all sorts of possibilities. Much peace and love, JP

Copyright 2009 The Clock is Ticking
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates