Being Still

So, let's see, I've been practicing being still for 10 days now.

It's not been easy every day. But it is getting increasingly easier. If you'll recall, there's a five- minute morning meditation, and then a one-minute hourly meditation. I don't do the hourly meditations as much as I would like. It's a little hard to stop mid-lecture in summer school and be still for a minute. 14 and 15 year olds look at you funny. And then they start talking, which would totally destroy my stillness.

I've been mad at myself that because I don't feel like I'm doing it right. Then, a few days ago, I found this quote..

To be is to do. (Immanuel Kant)

I collect quotes all the time. And it seems that I run across quotes all the time that speak to something important in my world at that time. Do you see where I'm going with this?

In order to be still, I need to do still.

So, I realized that part of my problem was that I was trying to work off of an imposed schedule. And that's why I was feeling bad--I couldn't keep to the schedule. And geesh, we'd even been given permission to not worry about the schedule.

So, I decided to alter what I was doing. I get up and do the morning meditation. And then, when I think about it. I've a tendency to fiddle with things, so I put a ponytail holder around my wrist. Every time I mess with it, I stop, focus, and pay attention to my breathing. I just let myself stay still. And it's working.

Anyway, 10 days into it, I'm feeling more calm, all the time. I'm sleeping better, which tells me that being still is having an effect on my blood pressure and heart condition. Obviously, that can't be good. Things aren't getting to me as quickly---not that things that don't bother me at all, but I'm slower to frustration.

I really feel like this is making a difference. I'm so glad Sharon turned me on to it. Thanks Sharon!





  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

1 Response to "Being Still"

  1. Stacey says:
    Jun 13, 2008, 9:00:00 AM

    Jayne,

    I am so glad you made this experiment your own and are doing it in a way that works for you. I love what you're doing, and plan to share it with others if that's okay by you.

    Best wishes,
    Stacey
    www.stillnessexperiment.com

Copyright 2009 The Clock is Ticking
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates