Friday Five--Old vs. Modern

Over at RevGalBlogPals, the Friday Five is up. Certainly some good things to think about, I actually looked at it this morning, But wasn't able to stop and write because I was being bombarded! But I kept it in the back of mind.

1. What modern convenience/invention could you absolutely, positively not live without?
My laptop, Emily. And my cell phone, Phoebe. Yes, they're named. And they're synced. They get along quite well, thank you.

2. What modern convenience/invention do you wish had never seen the light of day? Why?
The alarm clock. Because it interrupts a perfectly good sleep cycle.

3. Do you own a music-playing device older than a CD player? More than one? If so, do you use it (them)?
Personally? No. But we do have tape recorders at work.

4. Do you find the rapid change in our world exciting, scary, a mix...or something else?
A mix--I love technology and really do enjoy learning the new stuff and being able to actually make my day more efficient. It's so exciting! On the scary side, we're training ourselves and our kids to not be self-sufficient without relying on the technology. Not to sound all Y2K here, but what if?

5. What did our forebears have that we have lost and you'd like to regain? Bonus points if you have a suggestion of how to begin that process.
The ability to live without all these tech pieces I am so reliant on. Easiness in silence--you know what I mean? You read about families sitting together on Sunday afternoon, not working, just resting quietly. Maybe reading the Bible, or whatever. But they weren't wired into noise makers. How do we get back to that? It's going to take concerted efforts to just enjoy God presence and realize that it's not at all related to the machines around us.

For more musings, check out this week's Friday Five at RevGalBlogPals.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

2 Response to "Friday Five--Old vs. Modern"

  1. Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) says:
    Apr 25, 2008, 9:13:00 PM

    I'm glad you came back to play, even late, because your answer to #1 made me smile, and your answer to #2 made me smile even more.

    Number five...I hear you...and how to do it....

  2. Unknown says:
    Apr 26, 2008, 7:14:00 AM

    My laptop has a name (Psyche), but it never occurred to me to name my phone! I'll get on it.

Copyright 2009 The Clock is Ticking
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates