Revelations, for Friday Five

I missed last week's Friday Five, though I think I'll go back in a bit and do it.

This week's is a good one, and I'm sorry I didn't stop to do it yesterday.

Sally writes,

" With this Sunday's gospel reading in mind, that wonderful revelation of Christ to the companions on the Emmaus road. I wonder where you might have been surprised by God's revelation recently."

How has God revealed him/herself to you in a:

1. Book Well, this might be a little backwards. I started reading A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose this week. You know, the Oprah Book Club selection right now that has everyone suddenly realizing all kinds of things. It's not a hard book to grasp, but I was getting incredibly frustrated by all that Eckart Tolle had to say. Some of this stuff is common sense. And so, while I was getting into a particularly verbose rant (bout how ambiguous and esoteric writing about things we already know can lead to confusion and, well "missing the point"), this deep voice rang in my ears "some people will only get the point that way." That deep voice is the one I associate with God.

2.Film I can't say that I've had God revealed to me lately in film. I mean, I watched Star Wars last night and now I'm watching I am Legend. I do find myself wondering how a person utterly removed from society (like Will Smith's character) would make it. While I know God would carry me through, I'd fear the quiet. We're not meant to be quite so solitary a creature.

3. Song The new Rascal Flatts release has been on my mind today. I heard it in the car on the way home last night. I'm sure the radio intention is a love song, but you can't miss that the heart of this group is their Savior.
You could have bowed out gracefully
But you didn't
You knew enough to know to leave well enough alone
But you wouldn't
I drive myself crazy trying to stay out of my own way
The messes that I made
But my secrets are so safe
The only one who gets me
Yeah, you get me
It's amazing to me

How every day
every day
every day
You save my life

I come around all broken down and crowded out
And you are a comfort
Sometimes the place I go is so deep and dark and desperate
I don't know
I don't know

How every day
every day
every day
You save my life

Sometimes I swear I don't know if I am coming or going
But you always say something without even knowing
That I am hanging onto your words with all my might
And it's alright
Yeah I am alright
For one more night

Every day Every day Every day
Every day Every day Every day
Every day Every day
You save me
You save me

Every day Every day Every day
Every day
You save my life

It just makes me think about the promise of each day. I may have failed yesterday, failed to be the best for Christ that I could've been, but I got up today, a new day and He saved me once again. See, I don't think salvation is a one time thing--it's renewed every minute of every hour of every day. You just have to keep holding on to His hand.

4. Another person I see God in others constantly. I work with high school age students and I'm regularly finding that they are more aware and often more faithful than we think. Watching them care for each other gives me hope.

5. Creation I went for a run this morning, the first I've gone in several months for various reasons. Even though it was a breezy 36 degrees (Fahrenheit, y'all), I was jazzed and raring. I love to run. Getting out there in the gray morning was amazing. Squirrels were up, birds were getting going. This one little rat terrier joined me for one leg of my path. He was just the happiest thing on the road. Jogging along beside me (not even breathing hard!), barking for joy. Joy for the morning, for being alive, for being able to run. It was awesome.

For more revelations, visit RevGalBlogPals Friday Five for this week.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

3 Response to "Revelations, for Friday Five"

  1. Katy V. says:
    Apr 5, 2008, 10:56:00 AM

    I love your last one! I can just see the picture of you and the little dog running joyfully through creation!

  2. Sally says:
    Apr 5, 2008, 11:22:00 AM

    Great play, that run sounds awesome! Glad you played along :-)

  3. leah says:
    Apr 6, 2008, 11:04:00 AM

    thanks for visiting my blog! great play--i know how rare comments can be when you play late. i love rascal flatts and your observation about teenagers and hope--oh, yes, of course!

Copyright 2009 The Clock is Ticking
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates